August 14, 2007
ZZ Top, Tremendous!... Stray Cats, Fantastic!... The Pretenders... Did I mention ZZ Top was Tremendous?
I went to a concert last night at Red Rocks Amphitheater here in Denver (Morrison actually...) to see The Stray Cats, The Pretenders and the ever enduring ZZ Top.
I'm not much of a concert goer in my mid-life, probably due to my attending hundreds (that's right hundreds!) of them while supervising the security staff at San Diego State's Open Air Theater and our various inside venues back in the late 80's early 90's. But some friends of mine talked me into going last night.
A few observations...
- Red Rocks is BEAUTIFUL!!! I've given presentations at Red Rocks but I've never been to a concert there... and certainly not at night! Awe inspiring. The acoustics are impeccable.
- Our 28 year old friend was probably the youngest person in attendance out of 9,000 peeps! Damn I'm getting old!
- Pot Smokers are truly an inconsiderate lot! I assume they think they are being generous, sharing their smoke in such a liberal fashion... I feel for those who are subject to random drug tests, who may flag simply because they WENT to a concert! Nice!
- I'm trying to figure out how old Billy Gibbons and Dusty Hill (the leads of ZZ Top) really are... cuz they looked that old/young... bearded 20 years ago! They've been a band since '69 folks!
- Brian Setzer and Stray Cats epitomize the roots of rock! An energetic combination of Blues, Swing, Big Band, and Country all to form Rockabilly! Three guys!!!! Sounded like 12! The richness and depth of the "Slap Base" enthusiastically played by Lee Rocker combined with rhythm of Slim Jim Phantom's drums raised the crowd to their feet by the 8th note! Setzer was captivating with his 1959 Gretsch 6120, wow what a sound! The Stray Cats so moved the audience, that the cheers and whistles did not subside until the trio returned to the stage to play an encore!!! How often do you see an "Opener" perform an encore?
- The Pretenders? I wish they had! Fire your Sound Tech!!!!! And Chrissy Hines really needs to not sell any seats to her concerts closer than the 22nd row, she looks alright from sand wedge distance, but once on the green????? whooooghf! Not so much...
- And finally, ZZ Top! What a spectacular show of sight and sound! This Texas Trio did not disappoint a single fan. An hour and a half of continuous soulful blues and high powered guitar rock! Again absolutely astounding the cornucopia of quality sound that three men can produce! (And I don't mean after a bowl of chili!... although having experienced that personally... that too can be astounding!)
It made going to a concert fun... I thought I had lost that opportunity after having had it turned into work many years past now... Thanks Dusty, Billy, Frank, Brian, Lee, and Slim for a rock'n night to remember! Chrissy... I hope you enjoyed your "animal-free-doobie!"
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference ZZ Top, Tremendous!... Stray Cats, Fantastic!... The Pretenders... Did I mention ZZ Top was Tremendous?:
And what a supervisor you were... how did it ever keep on running. .
Posted by: Jackie.... | Aug 23, 2007 11:32:00 AM
The comments to this entry are closed.